Let
me start by saying that I am forty-five years old, and I fully plan to
live until I am at least ninety, and maybe babysitting your kids or
grandkids. But you never know about these things. I feel great, but I
am mortal. Just like Margo. Our bodies don't last forever. I wanted
to write to you, then, to get down in words so many of the things that
are going through my head about you, things that I don't think you will
understand right now, but maybe you will later. But later is an iffy
proposition.
First,
you are wonderful. I love you. You have shifted what that idea means
to me. I don't know how to explain it. I love your mom, and the best
thing that had ever happened to me was meeting your mom and the two of
us choosing to share our lives with each other. This is what makes this
life livable, really, the opportunity to share it with someone. When
you came along (later this happned with your sister, too), suddenly
there was a new person in the world, a person who was a little bit of
your mom and a little bit of me and a little bit of something new. It
was amazing and profound, and it has never stopped being that for me,
for both of us. I don't know if you feel special, and I do realize that
everybody comes into the world this way, but you are special to me,
unlike anyone else. And so somehow my heart got bigger, becaue not only
is there still the wonderful thing of sharing everything with your mom,
somehow I also get to share everything with you, and now everything
with Julia. There seems to be a lot more of me than I could have ever
imagined before the three of you came along.
Life
can be kind of stupid and lonely, especially when you are by yourself.
I don't think anything upsets me more than thinking of you unhappy. I
have been a very, very unhappy person at times in my life, and I don't
ever want you to feel that way. But I know I can't protect you from
everything. I will always try to help you the best way I can think of,
but some of this you're going to have to figure out on your own. I
guess what I really want to do is equip you to meet that. And as long
as I'm around, I want you to feel like you can talk to me about
anything. I am not very smart or wise, but I love you and I will try
very hard to listen to what you are trying to tell me.
I
don't know how I ended up so damn happy. In some ways, I just got
lucky and things kind of broke my way. Yes, I grew up and toughened up a
bit, and did some soul-searching, and nobody else could have done that
for me. But I also got very lucky. I had people who gave me their time
and love, who shared themselves with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment